Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Final Teams

The highlight of this week was definitely going to the Powerhouse and getting a sense of the community surrounding it. We also got put into our final teams. Perhaps there's no good way to pick final teams but I found these pairing to be very strange in the mix of disciplines. In the first weeks each team always had a decent mix of architects, engineers and art students but in these last groups the ratios are very off. One team has three art students, another four architects. I wish they were more dispersed like before. My group has three architects, one engineer and two art students (myself included).
My group met once to discuss how things would be run. We all seemed to be interested in different aspects of the project, which is good because we can get an all-around developed project. We also decided we wanted to refine and develop the security monitoring installation or "smartfence." I would like to make something very site specific, something that will have a lasting impact on the community instead of a fleeting novelty effect. I proposed to the group that some, if not all of us, go back to Detroit and meet some of the people in the neighborhood so we can get a sense of what they want and need. In this way we can make the project more meaningful to us and to them. Perhaps the couple at the Powerhouse could put us in touch with a couple of the families so they knew we were coming and we could talk to them right away. I'm still waiting to hear back about if people can go or not but I think I will still try to make the trip happen regardless of how many people can make it. 
I hope everything in my group runs smoothly. I don't foresee any problems right now and we all seemed to be very individually motived to make this happen to the best of our abilities     

No comments:

Post a Comment